Aug 19, 1961 - Europe 1961    No Comments

Lucerne and Driving to Innsbruck

We awoke before 7 and at 7:15 the man called that he har our car ready – he’d left Weisbaden the night before! We were so tickled with it – a blue-green Opel, fairly new, plenty of room. We packed up and left about 8:30, making a slight detour to see the Lion of Lucerne – which was magnificent! With the help of two maps and the clearly marked roads (I can’t call them highways), we drove across Switzerland to the N.E. There were 2 or 3 mountain passes with beautiful views. We navigated pretty well in spite of the heavy traffic, bicycles, and narrow roads.

In Buchs on the border we stopped for gas just as a wedding procession passed. Several horse drawn carriages bedecked with flowers with wedding couple & guests in native costume. Such excitement!

We crossed the Rhine into Lichenstein where we had lunch at a place called Nendeln, just a couple of miles from Vaduz, the capital. Then on into Austria over more passes, the most interesting being St. Anton where there was still snow  from a recent storm. We got out and took pictures, threw snow balls & marveled at the numbers of German tourists who were running all over the slopes just as excited about the snow as if they’d never seen any.

We had lovely scenery all the way to Innsbruck which is in a valley by the River InnThe river is named Inn. Not to be confused with an inn on a river. with mountains all ’round. A fairly good hotel, the ArlberghofFirst time I have not been able to find an internet reference to a place they stayed. Definitely not one by this name in Innsbruck now., as usual, by the train station – it’s been that way in every town!

Had dinner at the hotel and then drove to the Maria Theresa hotel for a two hour program of folk music – very similar to the Swiss one the night before. We would have been bored if it had not been for the two Austrian men at the table where we were seated. The younger was a medical student at the University here & could speak very good English but it was the older one who amused us as much as the floor show. He was quite a character – laughing, winking, leering & drinking his special wine.

Harry & I dropped the night owl Earlys off at another place so we could get some rest – Harry says he can’t take much more of this night life – but I’ve been holding up pretty well – not getting over tired and as yet, feeling fine.

Got anything to say? Go ahead and leave a comment!